The MacKinnon Ravine starts at 149 Street and runs down to the river. It is named after James Angus MacKinnon (October 4, 1881 to April 18, 1958), a Canadian politician from Edmonton, whos served as a Member of Parliament and Cabinet Minister (1935-49) and Senator (1949-58).
In the 1960s, a proposal was put forth to build a freeway through the MacKinnon Ravine to speed the flow of traffic from the West side of the city to downtown. The ravine was actually cleared and some grade and underground work was done, before Edmonton’s version of the freeway revolts that took place across Canada and internationally managed to stop the process. The partially developed land languished for a few years before a paved path and landscaping was installed. It now provides a broad path along the North bank of the river with numerous seating areas and picnic tables. From time to time other paths shoot off up the North bank leading to residential areas and other ravines.
On this day, we were glad it was not a freeway.
All photos taken September 24, 2020
This blog site, all prose, poetry and photos are the property of K. A Gould (unless otherwise noted), © all rights reserved.